Friday, 18 May 2012

The Reign of the Stain


If you've been paying attention to my blogposts or Youtube videos for the past few months, you'll know how head-over-heels I am with lip stains. But to be honest I'm not sure why.

A series of highstreet makeup brands have released a few lipstains and needless to say I've tried a good handful of them. Maybelline, NYC, Revlon and 17 have been my picks, and in fact the only one I think I haven't tried at the Max Factor ones.

L-R: Maybelline "Tender Rose", NYC "Persistent Pink", NYC "Forever Freesia", Revlon "Passion", 17 "Sleepover", 17 "Smokin' Hot".

Unfortunately, I think it's the idea of the lipstain that I love more, rather than the lipstain itself. A pigmented colour on your lips that would (hopefully!) stain it, so you wouldn't have to reapply. No heavy feeling of a creamy lipstick on your lips, constantly worrying that it's rubbed onto your teeth. No sticky feeling from a lipgloss that your hair sticks to. A lipstain in theory would be the perfect product!

But in the end it isn't. For one, the Maybelline lipstains smell like heaven, but have zero staying power. NYC are slightly better at staying on your lips, but they leave my lips as dry as the Sahara desert. Revlon are definitely a VAST improvement, providing a lipbalm at the end of the stain, and the pigmentation of the colours is much stronger than the others. But then there are the 17 lipstains, and these babies definitely win the crown! High pigmentation, a lipbalm on the end, and finally, a lasting power that's almost annoying! It won't come off! HA!


I don't think the lipstain will ever take over as the "new lipstick" or "new lipgloss" but they're still a great little gem to have in your personal makeup collection. I'm surprised that the higher-end brands haven't jumped on the lipstain band wagon (unless they have and I haven't noticed?) but maybe that's because there's so much trouble with getting a good mix to make the perfect product! 
Regardless, I still love my little collection and will be wearing them all summer :)


What are your thoughts? 
:) X


12 comments:

  1. I think these are definitely wonderful. I have a lot of the Revlon ones and they are fantastic when you really need the colour to last!
    the-creationofbeauty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice collection of lipstick. its very nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think these are awesome and so nice:)
    Super awesome post:)
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love all these colours - i defo need them

    ReplyDelete
  5. i've been wanting to try lip stains for months now! thanks for going through the different brands, now i know which ones to go for. ;)

    <3, Mimi
    http://whatmimiwrites.blogspot.com/
    $100 Shopbop Gift Card Giveaway -- Open internationally!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! I will be so happy if you want to follow each other! What do u say? Kisses

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the colors !
    Great Post

    Love Storm

    ReplyDelete
  8. I prefer lip stains to lipsticks. I make less of a mess with lip stains :D xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these lipstains look lovely, I think I need to invest in some more. Love your newest follower xxx


    www.misslv.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im a bit too paranoid with lipsticks and gloss annoys me, I always wear lipbalm as I might pick up some of the 17 ones and give them a go! I love colourful lips and this seems like a nice option for casual days! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Comments make my day :D