Saturday, 24 December 2011

Products I Regret Buying

There are millions of wonderful, beautiful, hyped-up products out there, but that doesn't mean that they're right for everyone. I spend the bulk of my money on new make up and beauty products (after paying my bills and buying food of course!) and I get really angry when I spend money on products that disappoint me. I feel like I'm entitled to a refund of some kind! Alas, nothing can be done. I have to accept the fact that I've spent money on something that's not right for me, but I can't seem to throw it out immediately because I feel guilty for wasting it!

Thus I present to you girls, a list of my top regrets over the past few months. Let me know if you think differently about them!




Number 1: Benefit Porefessional
"The best selling product of the company" the Benefit lady described it as! I couldn't believe the hype over this product. I went ape shit. I just HAD TO HAVE IT. There was no question! There were supposed to be instant results! My pores were supposed to be covered! My foundation was supposed to stick! ... What a load of bollocks! I didn't notice any difference in my make up staying put on my face compared to when I wasn't wearing it, you could still see my pores, and the tube is so small that you run out of it fairly quickly! At first I thought "I'll keep wearing it to see if it eventually does do the job" but alas it didn't.
Mark: 3/10.
Will I repurchase?  There must be a better product out there for a cheaper price! so NO.

Number 2: The Tangle Teezer.
Another massive disappointment. My housemate last year used to lecture me on how stupid I was for not having a tangle teezer. She swore by it. I've read countless reviews saying how good it was and how little hair it pulled out. But I found it more painful to brush my hair with than my usual Babyliss hairbrush. Also, I don't think I've ever molted so much when brushing my hair. Plus, it's such an odd shape and it sits uncomfortably in my hand. It would be much better if it had a handle.
Mark: 4/10
Will I repurchase? Hate it. I'm going back to a regular brush. so NO.

Number 3: Maybelline Volume Express One By One.
Not the best mascara I've ever had, but certainly not the worst. I remember watching the ads for it on the telly and the model had HUNDREDS of individual lashes which made her eyes look incredible. But when I bought the mascara, it didn't deliver. I don't feel like it separated my lashes at all. It didn't give me an amazing amount of volume either. Overall, it wasn't a terrible product, it was just a bog-standard mascara.
Mark: 6/10
Will I repurchase? Perhaps...but there are other mascaras out there in a similar price range which I prefer!

Number 4: Garnier Purifying Toner
I probably should have put the cleanser on here too because I don't like either. The only way that Garnier is capable of "purifying" my skin is by burning my face, apparently. This stank of disinfectant, dried out my skin and left it feeling tight and chapped. I would have to lather the moisturiser on afterwards in an attempt to save my skin from turning bright red and sore. I doubt they used any natural products in either the cleanser or toner which is a major no-no for me.
Mark: 2/10
Will I repurchase? A big fat NO

Number 5:  Maybelline Color Sensational Lip Stain.
Another Maybelline product? Maybe I should stay away from this brand! The main thing that attracted me to this product was the fact that it wouldn't be sticky or glossy. It wouldn't sit on my lips like a lipstick, it would simply give my lips a colour while still looking natural. I love the idea of it more than I love the product. The  price was good and the colour was beautiful! And the SMELL was fantastic! like sweet strawberries :) I loved it! The only problem was that after I applied it, I would have to reapply it 5 minutes later. I wasted so much time constantly putting it on again and again, and because it looks like a marker, I looked a bit "special" drawing on my face with a marker whenever I was in public.
Mark 6/10
Will I repurchase? A nice product, but what's the point if it doesnt show? so NO.

Number 6: EcoTools foundation brush.
To be honest, I bought this because I needed a new foundation brush and it was the cheapest one in Boots. It's not actually a bad brush, it's eco friendly (obviously), not made from animal hair, it's smooth and it's a good shape and easy to hold. The only problem was that it made my foundation look streaky on my face, so I may as well have rubbed it on to my face with my hands. 
Mark: 6/10
Will I repurchase? Now that I use a stippling brush, I don't think I'll ever go back to foundation brushes! so NO.

Number 7: Topshop Loose Powder Blush.
I don't have a lot of negative feedback for this product, it's really only the packaging that lets it down. It comes in some lovely shades, but the powder is in a little pot with a sponge-like applicator on the top. You cant use a blusher brush to apply it, you need to press the sponge against your face (which results in a spherical and concentrated amount of blush on your face which isn't exactly desirable!) If it had a different and more accessible packaging then the blush would be a success in my book.
Mark: 6/10
Will I repurchase? If Topshop created the same shade of blusher in a pressed powder, then YES!

So there you have it! My biggest hates of 2011 haha. When it comes to make up and beauty, I either love a product or hate it, which explains why I was so nasty about some of the products I have just reviewed!

What are your opinions of these products? If you have used them, do you agree?

:) X


11 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this post! I too have bought so many things that I've been so disappointed in.

    For your list, I have only tried number 3. I agree it was definitely a disappointment - I'm still on a quest to find my dream mascara! But I hate the adverts as they are always just lash inserts and look nothing like real results! X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, thanks!! That's really useful. I was considering buying tangle teezer but I think I'll give it a miss now.

    Happy holidays. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate it when this happens to me too. So now I'm really a whole lot more conscious about where I spend my money and what I buy. I read lots of reviews too, and think about the opportunity costs. That's such a load because buying beauty products should always be something fun and exciting!


    xoxo,
    Roxanne
    http://www.lacedivory.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love ur blog <3 plz check mine out and add if u like it :) follow me ill follow you
    kissandblushmakeuptm.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Tangle Teezer too, I've actually had it for a good 3 or 4 years and I agree it SUCKS! It doesn't get the knots out unless I literally stand there for hours and since my hair is so thick it feels a lot like the bristles are just running past my hair and not actually getting in there and getting the massive knots out :D I will never sway from my beautiful Denman paddle brush which never does me wrong :D xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you about the mascara! It does the job (just about!) but it was not worth all the hype! Lovely post- very usefull! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhh I will definitely be ignoring the Porefessional from now on!! I was attracted to it, but i think i'll give it a miss. Maybellines The Smoother does quite a good job at covering pores, its just a quick fix though :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahh I really wanted to try a tangle teezer! I'm not sure if I would now though! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a good bad review, I'm glad someone out there breaks from the crowd! I was looking at buying the eco brush for the same money saving reasons, but probs won't now, I will save up for something better! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so true, especially the Porefessional - it's bollocks! I don't get why so many bloggers rave about it. My make-up wouldn't even apply over the top of it. Anyway, good honest post! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah at last someone else who isn't convinced about the Tangle Teaser! I feel like it doesn't actually get all the tots out my hair. I have really thick hair and i need to brush my hair with a normal brush to properly get the tots out so seems a little pointless

    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Comments make my day :D