Thursday, 10 November 2011

Aluminium: Nail Wraps VS Nail Polish

Every morning I wake up in my University flat, to look up at the sex bomb that is Lady Gaga. Not that's she's creepily standing next to my bed as I sleep or anything, I mean her poster is on my wall. In her Fame Monster photo shoot, she has the most incredible aluminium/silver foil nail wraps. I literally drool over them. I'm sure hers are the real deal, like Minx, but for those of us who live on  a student budget, Minx is just a bit too expensive to be splurging on every 2 weeks.

And so I went out to find a cheaper alternative to these beautiful nails, and as it turns out, you don't have to go far! Nails Inc have created a line of nail wraps, ranging in all colours and patterns. For those who aren't familiar with how nail wraps work, you have to heat the wrap up (eg. with a hair dryer) before carefully placing each wrap on your nail, smoothing out any bumps or bubbles and heating them once again to make sure they're properly set on to your nails. Seems a bit tricky to do on all ten nails, right? Especially if you haven't got the steadiest hand when you're doing the nails on the hand that you write with. But at just under £8 for 24 individual nail wraps, you're not exactly breaking the bank, and if it all goes wrong then you can just chalk it up to experience.

Ideally, this is what I imagined my nails would turn out like:


So I popped along to Boots with my purse ready and my tail wagging, only to come across THIS little beauty instead!


Barry M Instant Nail Effects in Silver Foil for half the price at £3.99! Barry M I could kiss you! Half the money and half the effort, yielding the same effects! Result!

So I bought this and so far I've been loving it! It's just like any other nail polish - simple to apply, except with two coats of it, I've found that it's barely chipped in the five days that I've been wearing it. Barry M are my knight in shining armour when it comes to nail polish - they have every colour imaginable and at affordable prices. I wouldn't say that Barry M in silver foil has the exact effects of nail wraps though. While foil wraps have the effect of the shiny side of aluminium foil, the Barry M nail polish has the effect of the matte side of foil. Still equally as cute, but doesn't have the same wow factor that wraps would have.


These are my Barry M nails compared to the Nails Inc wraps. Apologies for the poor quality photo, I sneakily took it on my camera phone in Boots (can you take photos of products in shops??)

So my verdict is....undecided! I do love the Barry M nail polish, but if I wanted to treat myself to some party nails, I probably would try wraps. Nails Inc and Nail Rock both do affordable wraps (both retail at around £7-8 each). I'm desperate to try Nail Rock's black and white stripe designer nail wraps.


What do you guys think? Have you ever tried wraps?

:) X

17 comments:

  1. The Barry M nail effects are all amazing, I never tried nail wraps but I really want to, and I may get Nail Rock ones too they have so many cute designs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love nail wraps! I use them all the time.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting :) I am now your newest follower.

    xx

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried those Nails Inc wraps - in Chrome, it looked awesome! I have to say I don't think you'd get the same effect with a varnish (although that does look good too). I'm liking the look of those Nail Rocks black and white stripe ones...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have some nails wraps that I really want to try! My friend described the barry M paint as the non shiny side of foil.... I would much rather the shiney side hehe xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the look of the nail varnish :) I tried wraps and failed miserably, I'm just so cack handed!x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried them but never on my toes! what a great idea. I think they look fantastic, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ..Just stopping by to say I love Your blog!
    S
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for following me!
    I follow you back!
    In order to say which I prefer I have to try nail wraps, they look good...
    Miss Starshiny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Never tried nail wraps but I love the look of the barry m foil effect polish. Almost bought it the other day..regretting it now! x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really wanna try that nail wraps! Thanks for sharing!)

    GlamThings

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't tried the wraps yet but looking forward to give it a go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Heather, I've given you a blog award, check it out here: http://www.lifesprettyvisions.com/2011/11/liebster-blog-award.html :)

    Zara
    x
    http://lifesprettyvisions.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. such pretty colours! I have the barry M nail polish and love it X

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post, the BarryM looks lovely! I hate the idea of nail wraps; I paint my nails to relax, so it's taking away the enjoyment for me! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I tried the gold Barry M and didn't love it tbh, maybe the matt effect just didn't do it for me?

    Nic x
    http://www.strawberryblondebeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks amazing! Love it!

    http://mariamsbeautybase.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the look of the nails wraps :)
    I'm slowly warming to the foil colours of BarryM Xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog! Comments make my day :D